School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is a state-mandated advisory council made up of parents, scholars, educators, and community members. The program is based on local needs, resources, standards and values. It is coordinated by a multidisciplinary team that is accountable to the community for program quality and effectiveness by providing a healthy environment along with a wide range of activities to ensure academic success and the development of healthy behaviors. SHAC meets four times a year. If you are interested in becoming a member or attending a meeting, please contact Dr. Lori Nunez, Chief Special Programs Officer, at 817-783-1041.
School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is implemented because:
- Healthy children learn better.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- It is Texas law.
The eight priority components of a coordinated school health program include:
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
Scheduled School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) meetings for 2023-2024:
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2023 at 1:30pm - Alvarado Central Administration Boardroom
- Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023 at 1:30pm - Alvarado Central Administration Boardroom
- Agenda (posted Nov. 25, 2023)
- Video Recording of Meeting
- SHAC Meeting Minutes - Sept. 19, 2023
The mission of AISD's School Health Advisory Council is to facilitate opportunities for the overall life-long health and wellness of the Alvarado Community.
It is the vision of the Alvarado Independent School District School Health Advisory Council to ensure Alvarado becomes an emotionally and physically healthy community.